Watch the video above to see someone set up their first building and two floor plans on MapPlug
Steps to set up your first building on a new MapPlug account
1. Rename the default building
Go to the edit mode by clicking the top icon on the left side. You'll see a default building like "XYZ - Building." Click on that building on the list. Enter a new name for the building and click "Save Building."
2. Create a new floor
After renaming the building, click "+ New Floor". Give the floor a name, like "First Floor" or whatever it is called in your building.
3. Upload a floor plan
Click the "Choose file" button and select a floor plan file from your local drive. PNG or SVG files work.
Tips for floor plan files:
- Transparent files are key. Make sure the PNG file is a transparent PNG, and remove any white space on the outside of your floor plan so that is shows properly on the map.
- Keep the file size down. Use a service like tinypng.com to reduce the file size if needed. Keeping the file size under 2 megabytes will help your experience.
- Reduce the file dimensions. Floor plan files are often quite huge, being 10,000 or 15,000 pixels to a side. That's not necessary for the MapPlug system, and will slow down your experience. Reduce image dimensions to 3,000 pixels.
4. Scale, size, rotate the floor plan to fit the building
Your floor plan file will load on your map over your building, but it needs to be moved around and made to lay over the building.
You can use the corners of the bounding box to scale the floor plan image, as well as click and drag the image to move it around. Note that you can stretch out the floor plan with the bounding box, which you may not want to do, so be mindful of how you stretch it.
If you need to rotate your floor plan to make it align with the building, use the rotation slider.
Tips for positioning the floor plan:
- Adjust the transparency. Use the transparency slider to make the floor plan clear or nearly clear, which can help you align it on top of the building. Make sure to make the floor plan completely opaque again before saving.
- Try going from the satellite view to the map view. Click the button that says "Map" next to "Satellite" in the top right corner of the map, as that can sometimes make it easier to align the floor plan onto a building.
5. Save the floor
Click "Create New Floor" and you're done!